Friday, 24 February 2012

LOCAL ARCHITECTURE SHINES!

After a long weekend, the ensuing days seem to fly by to the next weekend. 

This Friday, I would like to share a couple of items, the first being a photo of an amazing building right in the heart of Waterloo. This photo of the Perimeter Institute was taken earlier this week when visiting Waterloo Park. It is an award-winning piece of architecture that literally shines with the afternoon sun. 

As I took photos throughout a local park last Monday, I noticed this view in the distance. My husband volunteered to take a closer look and hiked over to the river's edge to take a few pictures of this golden reflection. This photo captures the building within its natural context. Beautiful!
Photo by Eric Goldberg 

Ever since I read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged on a summer vacation, I have always had an admiration for the people who design such unique buildings. This book would make for a great winter read. Also, you might want to check out the movie version of the book with Gary Cooper and Lauren Bacall. It is a great visual of Rand's story and characters.

The second item that I wanted to share is a transplanted school-house nestled in the entry way to the grounds of the Park. As a first hall of learning in the region, from the 1800s, it is great to see it in such a setting. I took a photo of the school.

 
When I downloaded the photos later, it seemed like an interesting juxtaposition of the old and the new. Architecture has a way of linking the past and present, a time capsule of the past and a vision of the future.

Do you have any favourite buildings that have left an impression on you? Any favourite styles that speak to you for their creativity?

Maybe you will see one of these buildings soon. have a great weekend! :)



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the contrast between the two buildings, with their variation of vision of man-made structures. I always enjoy looking at buildings, especially at homes (as you might suspect from my porch and doorway series). Those speak to me of home and comfort and peace.

Patricia Anne McGoldrick said...

Thanks for noticing the contrast in my choices here! Agree with the impression of your porch and doorway series--think that is why they are so popular!