Monday, 4 November 2013

FAVOURITE CHARACTER?



Prompt: Who is your favourite character of all time?

My favourite all-time character, actually, is a composite--Jo March of Little Women and Anne Shirley,  the red-haired young girl who came to live at Green Gables in Prince Edward Island, Canada's small island province.
Birthday gift now!

Why can't I just choose one character and be done with it? 
Birthday gift then!



Well, I have to say that both fictional female characters, made a huge impact on me as a young girl growing up in rural southwestern Ontario.

I first met these two characters through books given to me on my twelfth birthday. These characters were quite opinionated, vocal and struggling to find their voices amidst a world of adults, peers and adolescent selves.

While Josephine March had a family of parents, siblings, an elder, plus neighbours, Anne Shirley was an orphan who, eventually,  won the hearts of an Island brother and sister who needed some help on the farm. 

Both young women had great imaginations, a way with words and life's daily challenges, including rather frugal financial environments.

These storied characters added a glimpse into times past along with an enduring awareness of change in those adolescent years. I read and re-read those books as I  progressed through those growing up years, reassured to know that Jo & Anne had been through some of the same and more. Thanks to Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery for the stories of Jo and Anne!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Jo was one of my favorites, too!! This is a fun post, Patrica!

"Both young women had great imaginations, a way with words and life's daily challenges, including rather frugal financial environments."

So true! Makes me want to re-read these classics!

Patricia A. McGoldrick said...

Thanks, Hannah! So great that a character like Jo can have such a lasting appeal for so many of us, isn't it?
With snowy days on the way, there might be a day or two to re-read one of these gems. :)