Saturday, 18 January 2014

ONE OF THOSE DAYS!

Ever have one of those days? 
2014 January Mini!
Well, Friday (not the thirteenth) was the one for me! The full moon was waning but I still had "one of those days".

Really, it started back on Thursday, when I was enjoying a cuppa Decaf Tetley tea and watching an American show called The Chew. This show, mostly on the lighter side of things, is good for a few laughs, some food tips and recipes, and frequent guests.

In that particular episode, Carla Hall, one of the 5-member hosts, provided instructions on how to bake her childhood favourite, Sausage and Peppers Skillet pizza in a cast-iron frying pan. It looked relatively easy to make, with the recipe outlined on their website for a second look.

This would be great for Friday night supper! I'll just take out that pizza dough that I have stored in the freezer, let it thaw overnight, and all will be ready to go, come dinner-time.

Friday morning, after spilling my coffee-filled favourite green mug on the floor, I peaked at the dough resting in a covered bowl. All is well, I thought, then I went on my merry way. 

I had a few errands to run within a couple of kilometres from home. After taking back some curtain panels at a local store, picking up a few grocery items, I headed home for lunch.

With that contented feeling of "job done", I unloaded some grocery bags from the trunk of the car and carried them to the side door. Holding two, yes two, bags in each hand, I tried to unlock the door. Suddenly, with a rip and a tear followed by breaking glass and metal soup cans falling on the concrete step, I was splattered with spots of red tomato sauce. In the freezing cold, I gathered up the bloodied glass shards, wrapped them in some paper to put in the garbage. Then I washed off the soup cans and proceeded to the kitchen for lunch. 

First, however, before making that mid-day meal, I took another peak at the pizza dough. Ooo, yuck, I muttered as I looked at a milky lake of creamy, speckled mush. Alas, frozen pizza dough has an uncanny similarity to French vanilla ice cream. I had mistaken the latter for the former. What now?

I could buy some fresh pizza dough at a nearby store or I could change the menu entirely. With all other ingredients lined up on the counter, I thought that I should just persevere, stay with the chosen menu. After all, I still had about 3 hours. That meant that I could haul out the bread-making machine. drop in some flour and yeast, etc.

2014 PIZZA PIE IN CAST-IRON PAN!
Two hours later, I had delicious dough just waiting for the pizza toppings. I followed the instructions for assembling the pizza in my trusty cast-iron pan which neatly fits into the energy-efficient toaster oven.

The finished product, slightly modified from the TV version, was delicious, receiving a thumbs-up from my husband who thought that this rustic pizza would have a great appeal with the family.

Lessons learned on one of those days:

  • Check the landing surface for coffee mugs.
  • Set down the groceries before trying to unlock a door.
  • Label and double-check the contents of freezer packages.
Have a great weekend, All!


No comments: