Thursday, 13 February 2014

SHOUT OUT TO PETE SEEGER & THE BEATLES!



2014 IMPROVED WITH AGE!
Seems to me that February has seen a lot of celebrations for lives lost and lives found. For some artists in the music world, longevity has been the hallmark of their careers, namely, Pete Seeger and The Beatles.  

As a note of thanks and appreciation to these individuals whose creativity has enhanced our lives for so many years, I am dedicating this blog post to them.

Pete Seeger, singer/songwriter/activist, filled our world with music for decades. His songs will stay with us for years to come. 

Seeger's songs have been sung by choirs, glee clubs, folk artists and rock'n rollers. The lyrics are studied in courses and highlighted in textbook chapters. His songs are sung by busloads of school children and stadiums full of sports fans.

This bard of the times in which he lived has inspired many of us with his works. For a prime example of this influence, check out a link to the tribute by Bruce Springsteen.

Pete Seeger lived through almost a century's worth of strife and struggle, celebrating and encouraging humanity with his songs. His approach to life and living was best summed up in his words: 

“The key to the future of the world is finding the optimistic stories and letting them be known.” Pete Seeger 1919-2014

Amen!

Second mention of thanks goes to the group that has played a lasting and evolving musical accompaniment to our lives for half a century -- the Beatles!

They have inspired musicians and artists of all ages. Their chapter in popular culture is long, still being written, in fact. For an overview of this group's contribution to music, you might want to check out Celebrating BEATLEMANIA! by People magazine. I bought a copy at the local food store--great addition to my collection of books on the Beatles.

A couple of years ago, I wrote this "found" poem with the Beatles' words italicized. As that 50th anniversary of their Ed Sullivan Show appearance has been celebrated this week, I thought I would share my small poem as a thank you note.

FOUND MUSIC POEM ON EARLY BEATLES’ ALBUMS

@ Patricia A. McGoldrick

Yesterday, the Beatles were best.
The Four were fantastic!
Tell me why, said Anne and this boy she was dating.
Well, do you want to know a secret?
After a hard day’s night they wanted to
Tell you something
Hold your hand
Work it out
And when they said
They were so happy just to dance with you
Any time at all they meant it.
I should have known better
Than to try to explain in a few words how
John      Paul      George      Ringo
Affected our lives so much.
After seeing them on Ed Sullivan
They became an irrefutable part of our lives
Eight days a week!
I told my daughter to remember the things we said today
When I get home I am going to write all about it and
I’ll be back, soon, to tell you more about
Yesterday.

Published in Verse Afire, volume 6 issue no.3 2010.

Thanks to this great group for adding a whole new dimension to the music world! 

Here's to good news!



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Sooze said...

What a great poem! I love how you chose some of, what some would say, are the more obscure titles. Not to me, though. I sang snippets of each one as I came to the title. Well done!!